New Business Procedures:
If you would like to open a new business inside the City limits of Inman, there are a few procedures that will need to be followed before the business is allowed to open.
- Before a purchase/lease agreement is signed, you will need to meet with Dennis Staton, Zoning Administrator, to discuss the type of business you plan to open as well as the zoning and sign regulations for that business.
- Once you meet with Zoning and Planning, he will then notify the Spartanburg County Building Codes and Permits Office (Gary Splawn or Kris Brannon) with an approval letter for the new business. Spartanburg County Permits Office will issue a Certificate of Occupancy if necessary, based on business location before the business is allowed to open. This process can take up to two (2) weeks so please be patient with all parties involved.
- Once you receive the confirmation from Spartanburg County, you will then need to obtain a Business License from the City of Inman and this process takes no longer than 15 minutes. Once you receive the Business License, you are free to open.
- The entire process of opening a new business should take no more than 2 – 3 weeks so getting started early is the key to a successful and smooth opening. 5. Should you wish to have a ribbon cutting, the Chamber of Commerce will be happy to help. They can be reached at (864)472-3654.
Important Numbers for New Business Owners:
- City Hall – (864) 472-6200
- Spartanburg County Building Codes & Permits – (864) 596-2727
- Greater Inman Area Chamber of Commerce – (864) 472-3654
- Inman City Fire Department – (864) 472-6363
- More Information for a New or Prospective Business
Business Licensee and Ordinance Information
- Inman Business License Ordinance Cover
- Inman Business License Ordinance FY 2003
- Inman Alphabetical Business Classification Index FY 2003
- Inman Business License Fee Rates Index