Frequently Asked Questions

Administrative and Community

What is the mailing address and telephone numbers for City Hall?

City of Inman
20 S. Main Street
Inman, SC 29349
864-472-6200 (office)
864-472-3228 (fax)

What is the mailing address and telephone number of the Sewer Office?

Sewer Office – City of Inman
1350 Campton Road
Inman, SC 29349
864-472-3578 (office)

How is regular, weekly residential and business trash handled?

The City’s weekly trash pickup is handled by GDS, Inc. within City limits. Each address is provided 1 (one) 96-gallon plastic, wheeled container. If you are a new resident, please call City Hall 864-472-6200 to get a trash container to you. All trash is picked up on Friday. If you are disabled, please call and we will have GDS pick up your trash container wherever needed.

Does the City of Inman have a cleanup service?

The City has a Spring cleanup the last full week of April. We will advertise in the local paper about 1 (one) month prior to start date.

We pick up the following items:

  • Appliances Metal
  • Furniture Wood
  • Box springs Limbs

All items must be separated or we will not pick up anything! We will only stop by each house 1 (one) time and if items are not ready for pickup, then we will not come back to pick them up. We will not go onto private property, so all items must be near the road for pickup. Call City Hall to get your name on the list for pickup. We will not pick up batteries, paint, oil, or car tires and rims. No exceptions.

I need to obtain City of Inman phone books and other reference material.

City Hall has phone books, maps, and general information available for free to anyone. Please stop in Monday through Friday, 8-5 to pick up.

Where do I go to pay my home/car taxes?

All home and car taxes are paid through Spartanburg County. Contact the Auditor’s Office at 864-596-2600, or visit

When is City Hall open for business?

City Hall is open from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. City Hall offices are Closed for the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • Memorial Day
  • July 4th
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Eve – (Close Early)
  • Christmas Day

What if I have a rabid animal in my yard – who do I call?

Call Spartanburg County Animal Control at 864-596-3582 for all animal cases in the City of Inman.

I need to get a new water line run in from the main street conduit to my house – who do I contact?

You would call ICWD (Inman-Campobello Water District) at 864-472-2858. If you have a sewer, you will call 864-472-3578 for the Sewer Department.

A windstorm blew down a large tree limb; it fell across a city street and knocked down electrical and telephone lines. Who do I call?

Call 1-800-PowerOn for Duke Energy to turn off the power. Contact City Hall at 804-472-6200 and speak with either Robin or Mandy to report the incident.  If outside the Inman City limits, you would call Roads & Bridges at 864-595-5320.

Homestead Exemption

What is the Benefit?

In 2007, the SC Legislature passed legislation that completely exempts from you tax bill all taxes levied for school operating purposes on the value of your legal resident. The Homestead Exemption credit continues to completely exempt the value of $50,000 for all purposes except for school operating purposes (Already exempted by the new 2007 Legislation).

Do I qualify for the Homestead Exemption? 

You may qualify if you are…..

  • Age 65 on or before December 31, preceding the tax year in which you wish to claim the exemption
  • Totally or permanently disabled
  • Legally blind
  • The surviving spouse of qualifying applicant

How do I apply for the Homestead Exemption?

Application may be made at any time of the year at the Spartanburg County Auditor’s office at 366 N. Church Street, Suite 200, Spartanburg, SC 29303. Office hours are from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Law Enforcement and Magisterial

When Police make an arrest, where is the subject detained?

The Inman Police take everyone down to the Spartanburg County Detention Facility. The Facility’s phone number is 864-596-2607. The Detention Facility’s web site is

How can I contact the local Magistrate Court?

The Magistrate Court is located at 10471 Asheville Highway, Suite 12 Inman. Magistrate Judge, Kenneth Dover, works directly with Spartanburg County. Judge Dover’s number is 864-708-0048. Judge Dover’s hours are Monday, 8-5, and Thursday, 8-11am & 5-8pm.

The Court convenes on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 9:00am, and the 4th Thursday at 3:30pm. (Cash, money order, cashier’s check, and credit/debit cards are the only forms of payment accepted for tickets. An additional 3% fee added to all credit/debit transactions.

What are the hours for Municipal Court?

The Court convenes on: The 2nd Wednesday of each month at 9:00 am. And, the 2nd Thursday at 2:00 pm. (Cash, money order and credit/debit cards are the only forms of payment for tickets. An additional 3% fee added to all credit/debit cards.)

I need an official Background Check and Fingerprinting, can you do that?

City Hall provides Background Checks and Fingerprints at a cost of $5.00. For both, you must have a valid form of ID. The background check is only for what occurred within the City Limits, not the county or the state. For your entire record, you can log on to to obtain records for a fee.

I’ve been bothered lately by blaring music and sounds coming from the vehicles near my house. Who do I call about City sound ordinances?

Call the Inman Police Department at 864-472-2828, or after hours, call 911 and report the the problem. If possible, get a description of the vehicle and the tag number. The Police handle all vehicle ordinances.

Does the City of Inman support the Freedom of Information Act (FOI)?

The City does support the FOI Act and will be happy to provide any information you may want. We ask that you put your request in writing. We have 10 working days to respond to a request.

Changes to the Freedom of Information Act from H3352

Business and Commercial

I want to open a new business, or plan on doing business within Inman city limits,what do I need to do first?

You must obtain a license from City Hall. Rates range from $30.00 on up, depending on the business category. You must obtain a license before doing any business.

When does the Planning & Zoning Commission meet?

The Planning & Zoning Commission meets the 4th Monday of the month at 5:00 pm at City Hall. (Any interested in being on the Board, please contact City Hall at 472-6200.)

I have a business and I want to display an electric sign to promote it. Can I?

You would need to contact the Zoning Administrator to supply details on what you are specifically requesting and he will approve – or not approve – the request. Call City Hall at 864-472-6200, Ext. 2.

I would like to examine the City of Inman’s Zoning Ordinance.

A copy of the City’s Zoning Ordinance is at the Inman Library (located at 50 Mill Street) and is available for public viewing. The Ordinance Book is not allowed to leave the premises.

I want to construct a new office building on a lot near City Hall. I presume that I am going to need various permissions to do so – who do I call?

  1. You must have architectural-engineering plans on the building and the location site.
  2. Contact Dennis Staton (see above) for all zoning regulations for the particular lot.
  3. If necessary, Dennis will contact the Planning & Zoning Board to discuss your project further and provide an answer.

I’ve just finished constructing my building – who do I call to get the final electrical and plumbing inspection and certification?

All inspections are done through the Spartanburg County Building codes & Permits Office at 864-596-2656. You must get a permission letter from City Hall prior the start of the project before Spartanburg will inspect. Come by City Hall and talk with Paul Ricardi before you start your project, and he has to give his approval before we will send a letter to the County.

Does Inman have a Chamber of Commerce?

Yes it does. You may contact the Greater Inman Area Chamber of Commerce at 864-472-3654 or through its website,